Although I initially took offense when a certain quotable sir accused me of having an iPod full of covers at a backyard BBQ, I have to say upon further reflection I’m not sure I mind the assessment. After all, what could be better than a good song? Probably a great remake of it that digresses in a huge way from the initial recording. It’s kind of like a little inside joke with you and the tune; someone’s got on a costume, but you know very well the person who is actually inside. I think it’s also a reflection of how good music never goes away. It just gets remade as the basis of inspiration for some other artist, perhaps in a totally different genre or style (example of this: compare the Such Great Heights covers below). Some of my most enjoyed tunes, old and new, are covers, including but not limited to:
- Free Fallin’ (original cred Tom Petty, cover I adore by John Mayer)
- Dreams (original cred The Cranberries, cover I was exposed to live in concert by Passion Pit)
- Such Great Heights (original cred The Postal Service, cover I came across by Iron & Wine)
- Girls Just Want To Have Fun (original cred Cyndi Lauper, thanks to theDairlycandy for discovering a cover by Starfucker)
- You’re Nobody Till Somebody Loves You (original cred Dean Martin, cover [someone dear once included in a gift] by Michael Bublé)
- The Beat Goes On (original cred Sonny & Cher, cover no one ever remembers by Britney Spears)
- Forever Young (original cred Alphaville, one of my all-time favorite OC songs, covered by Youth Group…and I guess we can count the fact that it’s sampled in Jay-Z’s Young Forever)
Those are just a few I can think of, but my final argument on behalf of covers is this. Think about how proud you’d be to take someone whose music inspired you and create something just as popular. Theres always that risk, I suppose, of someone doing a horrible cover of your song, but it would probably still be a little cute to see them trying. Now think of any friend, family member, or significant other you have who plays an instrument. How much better is your favorite song when someone you love is singing it? That’s what I thought.
So yeah, maybe it’s lame that I have a ton of covers on my iPod. But maybe it just shows that I sometimes care more about the singer than the song..